Skip to main content

Dreamscape

I followed these 4 very broad steps below in order to create the painting, Dreamscape :   

      1. Structure plan & establish value, colour temperature and mood: start by creating the dark and light areas of the painting. I always start by also establishing the feel for the painting depending on partly how I feel at the time and also the intended mood. At this stage I also plan the shapes and form I intend including warm and cool colour temperature. In some cases I do apply major differences from photos and avoid working strictly from the photo but instead from memory.

 




2. Develop detail starting from back to front, blend colour values while developing texture & form: I   then worked from the back of the painting moving to the foreground, filling the details of the dark      and light regions, constantly retaining focus by referring to the reference photo and keeping a balance between warm and cool values. (Referring strictly to the photo can inhibit progress and therefore I also worked on this stage from memory of the photo. Since I worked with oils, blending correctly is integral and will determine the later stages especially ensuring a smoother ride and less need for fixing in rest of the stages.


I prefer not to ever finish any specific region of the painting until the final stage 4, leaving room for adjustments and less fixing, and instead  a more enjoyable end to the painting.

   3. Create definition, refine elements and bring into focus: I constantly step back from the painting especially the larger the size, in this case at this stage stepping back is important to ensure any major refinements can be achieved. 

 



4. Final touch-up: In conclusion, make any final tweaks and touches depending on the stage 3 progress. 


It is important to remember:

Not all paintings from reference photos will go as planned. It is very important to keep a margin of error and room for mistakes throughout. Again, sticking strictly to a reference photo can do more harm than good in my experience. 

I hope you enjoyed my step by step illustration of 'Dreamscape' !....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye 2023....

And Hello 2024 ! .....  As the new year begins, it whispers of letting go of what has been and looking towards the future. Every one of us starts the new year with contemplation of everything we want to achieve, goals and inspiration for the new year and as we do that we need to remind ourselves to be easy on ourselves and experience every day as it comes, be in the present and avoid over thinking, remembering always that every single drop makes the ocean.  Today, the first day of the new year started for me with optimism, hopes and wishes for an even better year than last. As the first night of the year draws near I'm reminded of all the possibilities that await as I turn the first page of a new chapter today.  While reflecting on the last one year and looking towards the next, I'm also reminded of my countless blessings and the many things I should be thankful and grateful for. As I cherish deeper what I have a part of my soul bleeds for the many who are facing sufferin...

3 Exhibitions ~ 3 Galleries ~ 3 Locations

  3 Exhibitions ~ 3 Galleries ~ 3 Locations   Discover the World of Art 1 - 31 May 2025 Courtesy of The Artbox Projects   ART BAR GRENADA GALLERY Woodlands Commercial Complex 2nd Floor St George's Grenada   CASA DEL ARTE PALMA Costa d'en Brossa 4, 07001 Palma, Spain   ANDAKULOVA GALLERY DUBAI Unit 18, P4Level Damac Park Towers DIFC, Dubai, UAE   One Month Long Exhibition! Some of my artworks including : Moon Lit Sky, Romantic Sunset and Wanted in the Wild are part of the exhibition! Looking forward to being part of these Amazing Shows!    Don't Miss it !

Art in the Open 2024

Another absolutely amazing Show - Art in the Open 15th Edition happened at Village Market Nairobi Kenya in August !  22 August  - 25 August 2024  10 am - 6pm  @Village Market Open Air Space saw us as Kenya Visual Artists Association again represented at Art in the Open 2024 !  🎨 🌟 Art Enthusiasts, Viewers, Art Collectors had the chance to Immerse in a world of invigorating and stunning visuals, awe-inspiring & thought-provoking concepts & stories, breathtaking creativity & craftsmanship by Artists from all across East Africa courtesy of Village Market   🎨 🌟Our stand ( representing Kenya National Visual Artists Association Artists Team) was there ! After priceless sales during the last show, excitedly sharing that this one was even better with record sales and lots of appreciation for the art !